Wednesday 29 November 1916 – We Lost 242
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- A military Chaplain
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant W H L Parry (Royal Fusiliers) is killed in action at age 26. He is the only son of the Reverend Arthur L Parry, Chaplain of Colney Hatch Asylum.
- Chaplain “Canon” the Reverend Arthur Gordon Deedes dies at home at age 55 while on active service. He was the Vicar of St John the Divine Kennsington and the son of Reverend Canon Gordon Frederic Deedes Vicar of Heydour Lincoln.
- Sergeant George Bentley (Royal Marines attached South African Heavy Artillery) is killed in action. His brother will be killed next May.
- Lance Corporal John Joseph Dunphy (Newfoundland Regiment) is killed at age 21. His brother will be killed in April 1917.