Sunday 3 December 1916 – We Lost 309
Mr. Asquith decides on a re-construction of the Government and the wage dispute in South Wales is settled in favor of the miners.
The Greek Government gives a pledge to the Allies.
Today’s losses include:
- A member of J R R Tolkien’s Tea Club and Barrovian Society
- The son of a General
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant and Adjutant Geoffrey Bache Smith (Lancashire Fusiliers) dies of shrapnel wounds received 29th November at age 22. He is a member with and friend of J R R Tolkien in The Tea Club and Barrovian Society. Four of the eight members of TCBS will be killed in the war including another friend and member Robert Quilter Gilson was killed on the first day of the Somme earlier this year.
- Major Claud George Ironside Currie (Dorsetshire Regiment) dies at home at age 46 while on active service. He is the son of Major General Robert Hamilton Currie.
- Lance Corporal Frank William John Dedman (West Surrey Regiment) is killed at age 20 at Arras. His brother will die of wounds as a prisoner of war in August 1917.
- Private William James Jeffers (Australian Infantry) is killed in action at age 24. His brother was killed in August of this year.
- Private Henry Trigger (Somerset Light Infantry) dies on service at home at age 31. His brother was killed last April.
- Private Frank Morgan Smith (Bedfordshire Regiment) is killed at age 20. His twin brother was killed last May.