Friday 8 December 1916 – We Lost 273
H M Trawler Dragon (Skipper Isaac Pearce) is lost when she strikes a mine off the Royal Sovereign Light Vessel. Twelve are killed including her master.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A Marylebone cricketer
- The son of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Major Attwood Alfred Torrens (Royal Field Artillery) is killed at age 42. He was a cricket player for Marylborne Cricket Club.
- Major Edward Rogers MC (Royal Engineers) is killed at age 34. His brother was killed last July.
- Second Lieutenant Stanley Frederick Gabb (Machine Gun Corps) is killed at age 19. His brother was killed in August 1915.
- Gunner Frederick Selwyn Fendall (New Zealand Field Artillery) dies of pleurisy at age 21. He is the son of the Reverend Frederick Philip Fendall Vicar of Glenmark New Zealand.