Monday 11 December 1916 – We Lost 241
Captain Roger Forrest Hughes (Australian Army Medical Corps) is killed in action at age 26. His son will be born on 4th February and killed service as a Flying Officer in the Royal Australian Air Force on 3rd October 1942 and his wife will be killed in a car crash on her way to see their son’s grave. He is the son of the ‘Honorable Sir’ Thomas Hughes.
Today’s losses include:
- A General
- A man whose son will be born next February and will killed in the Royal Australian Air Force in 1942 and his wife will be killed in a car crash on her way to visit her sons grave
- The son of a member of the clergy
- A man whose brother was killed in September 1915
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Brigadier General George Bull DSO General Officer Commanding 8th Brigade 3rd Division dies of wounds received four days prior at age 49.
- Captain Philip Tillard Foyster (Royal Engineers) dies of wounds at age 28. He is the son of the late Reverend George Alfred Foyster Rector of All Saints Hastings.
- Lieutenant Edward Keith Head (York & Lancaster Regiment) dies on service in England at age 21. His brother was killed in September 1915.