Tuesday 12 December 1916 – We Lost 232
Germans issues a peace note suggesting a compromise peace.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a General
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- An Australian Rules footballer
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Master Luke Spargo Berryman (S S Coath) is killed at age 59 when his ship strikes a mine in the English Channel killing all 16 on board.
- Lieutenant Desmond Patrick Webb Carter (Royal Engineers) is killed at age 19. He is the son of Major General ‘Sir’ John Carter.
- Corporal Albert Alexander Currie (Australian Infantry) is killed at age 23. His brother will be killed in September net year.
- Corporal Thomas James Wright (Australian Infantry) is killed at age 36. He is an Australian Rules footballer who Captained the New Zealand team that completed in the 1908 Melbourne Jubilee Australasian Football Carnival.
- Private Alfred Joseph Sizer (Australian Infantry) is killed two weeks after his brother was killed.