Friday 29 December 1916 – We Lost 234
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Baronet
- The son of the editor of the Hobart Mercury
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant Guy Bloxham Simmonds (Machine Gun Corps) is killed in a railway accident in Ailly-sur-Somme at age 29. He is the son of William Henry Simmonds the editor of the Hobart Mercury.
- Second Lieutenant David Wilson (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) is killed at age 19. He is the son of ‘Sir’ David Wilson Baronet.
- Private Frederick Sparkes (Sussex Regiment) dies as a prisoner of war. His brother will be killed in July next year.
- Private Frederick Jacob Beable (Deonshire Regiment) is killed at age 34. His brother will die on service next May.