Saturday 13 January 1917 – We Lost 249
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- A murder victim
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Flight Sub Lieutenant Ranulph Kingsley Joyce Vallings (Royal Naval Air Service) dies of illness in Greece at age 23. He is the son of the Reverend James Frederick Vallings Vicar of Sopley.
- Company Sergeant Major Henry Lynch (Welsh Fusiliers) is murdered at age 39 in camp behind the lines. His murderer will be executed on 21 March.
- Trooper Ewen Elmslie (Wellington Mounted Rifles) dies of wounds in Egypt. His brother was killed on Gallipoli in August 1915.
- Private William Hylton Sandford Poole (Lincolnshire Regiment) dies of pneumonia at home at age 18. His brother will be killed one week before the end of the Great War.
- Private John Francis Hosegood (Army Service Corps attached Remounts) dies at home at age 54. He is the son of the Reverend John Hosegood.