Sunday 21 January 1917 – We Lost 277
Today’s losses include:
- An Irish Football International
- The son of a member of the clergy
- A man whose brother will be killed next October
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Major William Hurst Nicolson (Dogras) is killed at the battle of Al Hannah at age 25. He is the son of the Reverend Millar Nicolson.
- Private Albert Thomas Briggs (Australian Infantry) dies of injuries at age 29. His brother will be killed in October 1917.
- Second Lieutenant Harold Alexander De Barbizon Sloan (Royal Garrison Artillery) is killed at age 34. He played football for the Irish club Bohemian scoring the first goal ever at Dalymount Park and who earned eight full international caps once scoring a hat trick against Wales in a 4 – 4 draw in April 1906.