Monday 22 January 1917 – We Lost 290
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- The son of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant Bernard Hudson Shaw (Cheshire Regiment) is gassed to death at Ploegsteert. He is the son of the Reverend W Hudson Shaw Rector of St Botolph’s Bishopsgate.
- Company Sergeant Major George William Groves (Royal Garrison Artillery) dies on service at home. His brother was killed last March.
- Private Percy Hadaway (Sussex Regiment) dies of wounds at home at age 26. His brother will be killed in April 1918.
- Private Aleck Howard Brewster (Worcestershire Regiment) dies of wounds at age 29. His brother will die of illness in October 1918.
- Private Thomas William Street (Hampshire Regiment) is killed at age 26. His brother was killed in June 1915.