Tuesday 30 January 1917 – We Lost 274
Today’s losses include:
- An Australian Rules footballer
- A man whose son will be killed in the Second World War
- A man whose uncle died on service in December 1914
- A family that will lose three sons in the Great War
- A man whose brother was killed at the Battle of Jutland
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Harold Carlyle Parker (Australian Infantry) dies of wounds as a prisoner of war at age 25 received in the groin the previous night on a trench raid. He is an Australian Rules footballer.
- Second Lieutenant Lionel Calvert (Royal Engineers) is killed. His son will be killed in the first month of the Second World War.
- Private Harry William Holden (Sussex Regiment) is killed at age 23. His uncle died on service in December 1914.
- Private Leslie Hyde Atwill (Cyclist Corps attached Welsh Regiment) is killed at age 24. He is the last of three brothers who lost their lives in the Great War, the other two being killed in 1915.
- Private Cyril George Private (Devonshire Regiment) is killed. His brother was killed at the Battle of Jutland.