The German submarine U60 fires a torpedo at the Cunard cargo carrier Delphic off southwest Ireland. It misses.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a General
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- The son of a Baronet
- The daughter of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain John Ballard Berkley Ford (Royal West Kent Regiment) is killed at age 29. He is the son of Major General ‘Sir’ Richard Ford KCMG CB DSO.
- Lieutenant Richard William Formby (Royal Engineers) killed in action. His brother was killed in October 1914 and they are sons of Myles Lonsdale Formby JP.
- Lieutenant Hercules Ralph Langrishe (Montgomeryshire Yeomanry attached Royal Flying Corps) is accidentally killed at home at age 29. He is the son of ‘Sir’ Hercules Langrishe the 5th
- Nurse Mary C Dickson (Voluntary Aid Detachment, British Red Cross Society) dies of meningitis at age 30. She is the daughter of the Reverend W A Dickson.
- Rifleman Horace George Bodley (Rifle Brigade) is killed at age 19. His brother will be killed in October.