Thursday 15 March 1917 – We Lost 498
The destroyer HMS Foyle is mined and sunk in the Dover Straits killing thirty. Master William Herbert Whitefield (S S Frimaire) is killed at age 30 along with 11 of his crew when his ship is sunk by torpedo 21 miles south southeast from Belle Ile.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant J H Cotterill (Black Watch) is killed in action in Mesopotamia at age 27. He is the son of ‘Sir’ Montagu Cotterill CMG.
- Lance Corporal Herbert Frank Heritage (Middlesex Regiment) is killed at age 31. His brother was killed in March two years ago.
- Private John Babbage (Australian Infantry) is killed at age 36. His brother will be killed in August 1918.
- Private Reginald Barber Godfree (Honorable Artillery Company) is killed at age 19. His brother was killed in June 1915.