Saturday 7 April 1917 – We Lost 596
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- A Justice of the Peace
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- The brother of an Ayr United footballer who was killed previously in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Henry Dennis Smith-Ryland (Warwickshire Yeomanry) dies of wounds in Egypt received in Gaza at age 26. His is the son of Justice of the Peace C A Smith-Ryland.
- Captain Alexander J Jennings JP (Royal Field Artillery attached Royal Flying Corps) is killed at age 22.
- Second Lieutenant Latimer Ridley Dubois (London Regiment) is killed at age 26. His brother will be killed in two days.
- Second Lieutenant Frazer Keith Lefroy (Royal Field Artillery) is killed at age 22. He is the son of Augustus Henry Frazer Lefroy KC.
- Regimental Sergeant Major Norman Pittersen (Australian Infantry) is killed at age 30. His brother will be killed next Aprill.
- Lance Corporal James Sutherland (Seaforth Highlanders) is killed in action at Scarpe, Arras at age 22. His brother was killed in November 1916.
- Private George Connell Bellringer (Seaforth Highlanders) is killed in action at age 33. He is the brother of John Bellringer a football player for Ayr United Football Club who was killed in 1915.
- Rifleman Claud Robert Vallentine-Warne (London Regiment) is killed at age 27. His brother was killed in May 1915.