Captain William Oliphant Down (Berkshire Regiment) is killed at age 31. He is a dramatist and author of The Maker of Dreams a one act fantasy produced at the Vaudeville and The Dream Child and The Quod Wrangle.
Today’s losses include:
- A dramatist and author
- The 5th Baron Scarlett
- A man whose brother was previously killed
- The son of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Commander Shelley Leopold Lawrence Scarlett (Admiralty, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve) dies at home at age 45. He is the 5th Baron Abinger and had a brother who was killed in September 1914.
- Private Tom Pollard (British Columbia Regiment) is killed in action at age 19. He was confirmed into the Anglican Church on 6 April 1914 and on the same day Francis Paul Layton was also confirmed. Layton was killed in July 1916.
- Gunner Robert William Walter Vaughan (Royal Army Medical Corps) dies of wounds at age 32. He is the son of the Reverend Thomas Walter Vaughan Vicar of Rhuddlan.