Sunday 27 May 1917 – We Lost 545
Second Lieutenant Henry Tennant (Dragoons attached Royal Flying Corps)) is killed in action while flying at age 19. He is the son of the Right Honorable H J Tennant MP, Under Secretary for War and Mrs. Tennant, the Director of Women’s National Service.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Member of Parliament and the Under Secretary for War and his wife the Director of Women’s National Service
- The son of a General
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Charles Ellicombe Williams (South Wales Borderers) is killed at age 27 on Salonika. He is the son of Brigadier General Raymond Burlton Williams CB.
- Lieutenant Arthur Douglas Knapp (Nyasaland Field Force) dies on service in East Africa at age 40. He is the son of M G S Knapp JP DL.
- Second Lieutenant Robert Hilary Lockhart Whitelaw (Household Battalion) is killed in action at age 22. He has two brothers who will die on service.
- Private George Albert Fereday (Worcestershire Regiment) dies of wounds at age 25. His brother will die on service in Salonika at age 22 in October 1918.
- Private Cyril Isaac Levine (Machine Gun Corps) dies on service at home at age 20. His brother will be killed in an aircraft accident at home next year and both brothers are buried in the same home cemetery.
- Private Alfred Michael Mazzei (South Wales Borderers) is killed at age 24. His brother was killed in October 1914.