May 31 1917 – We Lost 456
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- The son of a General
- An Australian Diarist
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Arthur Sutcliffe Armstrong (Cambridgeshire Regiment) dies of wounds at age 26. He is the son of Thomas Sutcliffe Armstrong, JP.
- Second Lieutenant A B Hallowes (Army Service Corps) dies at home at age 31. He is the son of Major General G Hallowes.
- Second Lieutenant Ernest Osborne Wilshire (Australian Infantry) is killed at age 31. His brother will be killed in July of this year and they are both Australian Diarists.
- Sapper Frank Edwin Le Leu (Royal Engineers) is killed in action. He has a brother who will be killed in May 1918.
- Private Benjamin Fountain (Middlesex Regiment) is killed in action. His brother was killed November 1915.
- Private Cyril James Hoodless (Australian Infantry) dies of wounds. His brother was killed last February.