Friday 1 June 1917 – We Lost 433
Flight Lieutenant Raymond Collishaw (Royal Naval Air Service) shoots down an Albatross scout in flames.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- An Abertillery Rugby FC player
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Henry Edward Stewart (Sussex Regiment) is killed in action. He is the son of ‘Sir’ Edward Stewart.
- Lieutenant N W B Gilpin (Royal Defense Corps) dies at home at age 44. His brother will be killed in action in March 1918.
- Sergeant Alexander Keiller (Royal Garrison Artillery) dies of wounds. His brother was killed in September 1916.
- Private Arthur Llewellyn (Rifle Brigade) is killed at age 24. He played for the Abertillery Rugby Football Club.
- Gunner John Leith (Royal Field Artillery) is killed in action at age 20. His brother will be killed in March 1918.