Flight Lieutenant Raymond Collishaw (Royal Naval Air Service) shoots down two Albatross scouts in flames and kills the pilot of a third. Flight Sub Lieutenant Ellis Vair Reid (Royal Naval Air Service) attacks and drives down one of four hostile scouts this machine dives nose first into the ground and is destroyed.
Flight Lieutenant Fabian Pember Reeves (Royal Naval Air Service) is killed at age 21. He is the son of the Fabian socialist and suffragist Magdalene Stuart Robinson. He is the 34th victim of the German Ace Werner Voss.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of Fabian Socialist and suffragist Magdalene Stuart Robinson
- A Fellow of the Royal Geological Survey
- A victim of Werner Voss
- The son of a member of the clergy
- The grandson of both a member of the clergy and a General
- A family that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Horas Tristram Kennedy (Royal Scots Fusiliers attached Royal Engineers) is killed in action at age 28. He had been appointed to the Geological Survey of Ireland in 1913 and was a Fellow of the Royal Geological Society.
- Second Lieutenant Humphrey Warwick Arden (Royal Garrison Artillery) is killed in action at Balleul at age 25. He is the son of the Reverend William Henry Arden, vicar of Whiteparish, Salisbury.
- Second Lieutenant Robert Gibbons (Dorsetshire Regiment) is killed at age 19. He is the grandson of both the Reverend Robert Gibbons and General Albert Henry Bamfield.
- Lance Corporal Samuel Davidson Ferguson (Royal Scots) is killed in action at age 26. His brother will be killed in August 1918.