Sunday 15 July 1917 We Lost 585
Major Bede Liddell Fenton (Dorsetshire Regiment) is killed at age 35 while searching for wounded comrade Lieutenant William John Coley who was in fact already dead. He is the son of the Reverend Enos Fenton Vicar of Shotton.
Today’s losses include:
- A battalion commander
- A military Chaplain
- A man whose brother was killed last October
- An Isle of Wight footballer
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Colonel John Ralph Hedley DSO (commanding 1/5th Border Regiment) is killed at age 46.
- Captain Herbert Leslie Ridley (Dublin Fusiliers) is killed at age 22. His brother was killed last October.
- Chaplain the Reverend Joseph Strickland, 12th Brigade, 4th Division, dies on Malta at age 53.
- Private Harold Lisle Loveridge (Hampshire Regiment) is killed in Palestine at age 35. He is an Isle of Wight football player.