Monday 16 July 1917 We Lost 509
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons
- A military Chaplain
- A cousin of the first black commissioned officer in the British Army Walter Tull
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant Arthur Edward Hamilton Cooper (Australian Imperial Forces) is killed at age 21. He is the son of Bishop Henry Edward Cooper.
- Chaplain Basil Pemberton Plumptree MC (attached London Regiment) is killed at age 34. He is the son of the Reverend Charles P Plumptre.
- Sergeant George Douglas Buchan MM (Machine Gun Corps) is killed in action at age 36.
- Lance Sergeant Stephen John Alexander (West Surrey Regiment) is killed at age 20. His brother was killed last August and he also lost two cousins including Second Lieutenant Walter Tull the first black commissioned officer in the British Army who will be killed next year.
- Gunner Frank Albert Shelford (Royal Field Artillery) dies of wounds at age 20. His brother will be killed in July 1918.