Wednesday 8 August 1917 We Lost 565
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple battalion commanders
- A Military Chaplain
- The son of a member of the clergy
- The grandson of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Colonel George Herbert St Hill (Royal North Devon Hussars) is killed at age 52. He is the son of Reverend Canon Woodford St Hill and commanded the 6th Lincolnshire Regiment at the evacuation of Suvla Bay.
- Lieutenant Gerald Arthur Hervey (Royal Garrison Artillery) is killed at age 36. He is the grandson of the Right Reverend Lord Arthur Charles Hervey.
- Chaplain Frank Robert Harbord (attached 25th Division) dies on active service at age 49. He is the Vicar of Dunchurch.