Friday 24 August 1917 We Lost 654
Today’s losses include:
- The son of the former Governor of Bengal
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
- The son of a Brigadier General who was previously killed
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- A Military Chaplain
- A man engaged to be married next month
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Major Tom Lowis Bourdillon MC (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) is killed at age 29. He is the son of ‘Sir’ James Austin Bourdillon former governor of Bengal.
- Captain Harold Cecil Round DSO MC (Rifle Brigade) becomes the last of three brothers to be killed in the Great War. He dies at age 21.
- Captain Noel Esmond Lee (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) is killed in action at age 20. He is killed two years after his father Brigadier General Noel Lee, dies of wounds received in action at Krithia.
- Lieutenant Harold Sampson Kempthorne (Royal Field Artillery) is killed. He is the son of the Archdeacon of Waimea New Zealand.
- Lieutenant Hugh Delafosse Simpson (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) is killed at age 21. He is the son of the Reverend Robert Henry Bridges Simpson Vicar of Okewood.
- Chaplain Herbert Green MC (attached Indian Civil Service) dies on service at age 28.
- Corporal Henry Joseph Humphrey (Royal Sussex Regiment) dies of wounds at base hospital Etaples. His brother died of wounds last September.
- Lance Corporal John Fred Baskerville (Lancashire Fusiliers) is killed in action at age 26. His brother will be killed in July 1918.
- Engine Room Artificer 4th Class George McGill (HMS General Crauford, Royal Navy) accidentally drowns at age 27. He had been engaged to be married within the month and had a brother who died of wounds one year earlier.
- Private Herbert Bean (Northamptonshire Regiment) dies of wounds received in action at age 30. His brother will die on service in December 1918.
- Private Cuthbert Hugh Clement Wills (London Regiment) is killed at age 24. He is the son of the Reverend Cuthbert E T Wills.
- Signal Boy Charles Stephens (HM Yacht Penetia) dies at home at age 17. His brother will be killed in September 1918.
- Private Edward Gordon Noy (Warwickshire Regiment) is killed at age 18. His brother will be killed next month.
- Private John Dunster (South Wales Borderers) is killed at age 26. He is the middle of three brothers who are killed this year.
- Private George Smallshaw (Liverpool Regiment) is killed at age 26. He is one of three brothers who are killed in the Great War.