S S Newholm (Captain N H Blake) a defensively-armed merchant ship is sunk by a mine one mile south from Start Point.. Twenty of the twenty-nine on board are killed though the skipper survives.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
- The son of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Corporal C Copland (Royal Engineers) dies of wounds at age 22. His two brothers will be killed next year.
- Private John Thomas Thompson (York and Lancaster Regiment) dies of wounds received in action at age 20. His brother will be killed next March.
- Private Albert Ellis Legate (Northumberland Fusiliers) is killed at age 30. His brother was killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.
- Private John Harris (Welsh Regiment) dies of wounds at age 32. His brother died of wounds in May 1915.
- Private Hugo Valentine Fleury (Central Ontario Regiment) is killed becoming the third son of the Reverend Louis Richard Fleury Rector of Kilworth Cork to lose his life in the Great War.