Wednesday 12 September 1917 We Lost 465
At Etaples in spite of orders confining them to camp, over a thousand men break out, march through the town and then on to Paris Plage. Later in the day reinforcements of 400 officers and men of the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC) arrive armed with wooden staves. The HAC detachment is composed mainly of officers amd officer candidates, contains no working-class men, and is the one unit on which complete reliance can be placed. The HAC are supported by members of the 15th Hussars and a section of the Machine Gun Squadron. The threat works and only 300 men break camp and are arrested at Etaples. The mutiny is now over and the reinforcements are dispersed.
Submarine D7 (Lieutenant Oswald E Hallifax) torpedoes and sinks the German submarine U-45 west of the Shetlands. The trawler Asia (Skipper John Duxfield Benjamin age 31) is sunk by a mine off Bressay Island. Seven are killed including her skipper.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a member of the clergy
- A South African cricketer
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
- A member of the Margate Postmen Football Club
Today’s highlighted casualties include
- Flight Commodore Christopher Eric Wood (Royal Naval Air Service) is killed in Greece at age 26. He is the son of the late Reverend Richard Wood.
- Lieutenant Eric Balfour Lundie (Coldstream Guards) is killed at age 29. He is a South African cricketer who played one Test in 1914.
- Private Richard William de Renzy (Irish Guards) is killed in action at age 20. His older brother will die of wounds in May 1918.
- Private Herbert James Bateup (London Regiment) is killed while acting as a runner at age 27. He is a Margate postman and member of the Margate Postmen Football Club. His brother was killed in July 1916.
- Gunner Walter Charles Taylor (Royal Field Artillery) is killed at age 29 becoming the second of three brothers who will lose their lives in the Great War.
- Gunner Arthur Leslie Earl (Royal Field Artillery) dies of gassing at age 28. His brother died of wounds last year.