Flight Sub Lieutenant Ronald McNeill Keirstead (Royal Naval Air Service) engages single-handed four enemy airplanes, of which two are destroyed by him.
Dunkirk is bombed, shells falling on an engine repair shed.
The Admiralty trawler James Seckar (Skipper Robert Brown RNR) disappears west of the Bay of Biscay. Her crew of seventeen is lost.
Today’s losses include:
- A 1908 Olympic runnger
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- Brothers killed together
- The son of a member of the clergy
- The Master at Bishops Stortford College
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Richard Dacre Turton (York and Lancs Regiment) is killed at age 20. His brother was killed in April 1915 and they are sons of the Reverend Zouch Horace Turton Vicar of St Mary’s Southtown.
- Second Lieutenant Theodor Milton Pflaum (Australian Machine Gun Corps) is killed at age 22. His brother was killed last November.
- Second Lieutenant Thomas Grenville Lindley (London Regiment) is killed at age 21. His brother died of wounds last October.
- Second Lieutenant Ernest Alexander Knight (Machine Gun Corps) is killed in action at age 31. He was a Master at the College, Bishops Stortford from 1909 until 1916.
- Private William George Bishop (Bedfordshire Regiment) is killed in action at age 21. His brother Archibald Thomas Bishop was also killed in the Great War.
- Brothers Albert (27) and Henri Denis (22) are killed while serving with the Quebec Regiment and are buried in adjacent graves in Thelus Military Cemetery.
- Private Peter Bruce (Australian Infantry) is killed at age 32. His brother was killed in February of this year.
- Gunner Frederick Webster (Royal Garrison Artillery) dies on service in India at age 22. His brother was killed in May of this year on the Western Front.
- Gunner George Butterfield (Royal Garrison Artillery) is killed in action at age 38. He is an athlete who competed in the 1908 Olympics and ran the world’s fastest mile in 1906.
- Private Leslie Henry Beeley (Sussex Regiment) is killed at age 19. His brother was killed in September 1916.