Sunday 7 October 1917 We Lost 834
The merchant ship S S Aylevarroo (Chief Officer John Olivet) is sunk off the south coast of Ireland when she is torpedoed. Twenty are killed including her master.
Lieutenant James Cromwell Bush MC (Dorsetshire Regiment attached Royal Flying Corps) is killed in action at age 26 when he and his observer Lieutenant William Wetherall Chapman (East Kent Regiment attached Royal Flying Corps) are shot down near Kruishoek. Bush is the eldest son of the Reverend Herbert Cromwell Bush, grandson of the late General Reynell Taylor CB CSI and Canon Bush of Cornwall and a six-victory ace. Lieutenant Chapman is killed at age 21 and his brother was killed on 1st October.
Today’s losses include:
- A member of the clergy
- The son of a member of the clergy
- The grandson of a General and a member of the clergy
- A 6-victory ace
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A man whose son will die on service in November 1944
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant the Reverend Cecil Barclay Simpson (Seaforth Highlanders) is killed at age 32. He was proceeding down the communication trench, when he was struck by a shell and killed instantaneously.
- Lance Corporal William Strang (Alberta Regiment) is killed at age 36. His brother will be killed in June 1917.
- Private John Alfred Merryweather (Bedfordshire Regiment) dies of wounds received in action at age 41. His brother will be killed in January 1918.
- Private Frank William Gent (Dorsetshire Regiment) dies of pneumonia in Baghdad at age 20. His brother was killed in April 1915.
- Private William Smith Michelson (Lincolnshire Regiment) is killed in action. His son will die on service in November 1944.
- Private Herbert William Reeves (Manchester Regiment) is killed at age 21. His brother was killed four months earlier.
- Private Thomas Zeller (Australian Infantry) is killed at age 30 His brother will die of wounds in April 1918. A third brother who served and made it home will be killed in 1919 when a branch falls on his car killing him.