Saturday 20 October 1917 We Lost 609
Today’s losses include:
- A member of the clergy
- The son of a member of the clergy
- A family that will lose five sons in the Great War
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great Wwar
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Charles Cedric Gordon Allom (Royal Field Artillery) dies of wounds received in action at age 21. He is the only son of ‘Sir’ Charles Allom.
- Lieutenant the Reverend David Stewart Dawson (Gordon Highlanders) dies of wounds at age 27.
- Second Lieutenant Harold Greatwood (Royal Field Artillery) dies of wounds at age 30. His older brother was killed in March of last year.
- Driver Jonah Booth (Royal Field Artillery) is killed in action at age 21. His brother will be killed in March 1918.
- Acting Bombardier Thomas Finnerty (Royal Field Artillery) is killed in action. His two brothers have been previously killed in the Great War.
- Private Charles Reeve Beechey (Royal Fusiliers) dies of wounds at age 39 in East Africa. He is the fourth of five sons of the Reverend Prince William Thomas Beechey who will be killed in the Great War.
- Private Stephen Morris (Durham Light Infantry) dies of wounds at age 40. He is the first of three brothers who will lose their lives in the Great War.