Tuesday 23 October 1917 We Lost 632
HMS Melampus sinks the German submarine UC-16 off Selsey Bill.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- A family that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A Military Chaplain
- A man whose son will be killed in June 1944
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain William Morrison MC (Royal Army Medical Corps) is killed in action at age 31. He is the son of the Reverend William Morrison.
- Second Lieutenant Frank Wood (Sherwood Foresters attached Machine Gun Corps) is killed at age 19. He is the son of the Reverend James Hathorn Roworth Wood Vicar of Cropwell Bishop.
- Second Lieutenant Thomas Malcolm (Highland Light Infantry) is killed at age 31. His brother was killed last year in Mesopotamia.
- Chaplain the Reverend David Heggie dies on service in Ireland at age 33.
- Bombardier Joseph Storer (Royal Field Artillery) is killed in action. His son will be killed during the invasion of Dunkirk in June 1944.