Saturday 24 November 1917 We Lost 330
The armed drifters HM Present, Help, Paramount and Majesty drive the German submarine U-48 aground southwest of the Goodlands and she is then blown up by her crew. The steamship S S Dunrobin (Master Henry Ison) is torpedoed and sunk by U-53 forty-nine miles southwest of the Lizard. Thirty one including her master are killed.
Today’s losses include:
- A General
- The Headmaster of Cross Hill Boys School
- A Rosslyn Park Rugby player
- A son of the 2nd Baron Ashcombe
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A columnist for The State
- The son of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Brigadier General Arthur Cecil Lowe CMG DSO, Commanding Royal Artillery, 66th Division is killed in action at age 49 near Ypres.
- Captain John Middleton Downend (Northumberland Fusiliers) is killed at age 29. He is the Headmaster of Cross Hill Boy’s School.
- Captain Denis Laurence Monaghan (Irish Rifles attached Tank Corps) is killed at age 29. He is a Rosslyn Park Rugby footballer.
- Lieutenant ‘the Honorable’ Alick George Cubitt (Hussars) is killed in action at age 23. He is the son of Henry Cubitt, the 2nd Baron Ashcombe.
- Lieutenant Sydney Winton Ayers (Australian Flying Corps) dies of wounds received the previous day at age 24. His brother was killed in September of this year.
- Second Lieutenant Tristram William Jordan Wilson (Warwickshire Regiment) is killed at age 28. He is a drama critic and contributor to the columns of The State.
- Second Lieutenant Francis Henry Martin (Royal Engineers) is killed at age 28. He is the son of the Reverend John Martin Vicar of Granborough.
- Private Ephraim Dodds (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) is killed in action at age 27. His brother was killed in May of this year.
- Private Robert Hewitt (Suffolk Regiment) is killed at age 32. His brother was killed in December 1915.
- Private Alexander Hepburn (Highland Light Infantry) is killed at age 23. His brother was killed last March.
- Private Arthur Lunney (Royal Scots) is killed at age 24 in Palestine one day after his brother was killed.