Wednesday 28 November 1917 We Lost 803
The Cambrai offensive officially ends and the British troops are ordered to lay wire and dig in and the Germans are quick to concentrate their artillery on the new British positions. Today over 16,000 rounds are fired into Bourlon Wood.
Colonel Tafel in command of 3,500 German troops from Mahenge cut off from the main for of von Lettow-Vorbeck surrenders near Newala, British East Africa.
The Guards Division clear Fontaine Notre Dame, but are counter-attacked by two German divisions and forced back.
Today’s losses include:
- The grandson of a General and Justice of the Peace
- The grandson of a member of the clergy
- A man killed on the day his grandfather is buried
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A family that will lose four sons in the Great War
- Two brothers killed together
- A Birmingham Police Officer
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain (Brevet Major) Greville John Massey Bagot Chester (Scots Guards) is killed at age 52. He is fine athlete who won many running and jumping competitions. He once won a bet for 100 pounds that he could ride, run and walk a mile in under 20 minutes. He is the grandson of Lieutenant General John Chester JP.
- Captain Robert Chichester Drummond DSO (Coldstream Guards) is killed at age 21. This is the day his grandfather the Bishop of Chichester is buried.
- Captain William Norman Lowe (Highland Light Infantry attached South Staffordshire Regiment) is killed at age 28. He is the son of Lieutenant Colonel T E Lowe OBE TD JP.
- Private George Fisher (Highland Light Infantry) is killed in action at age 19. His brother died of wounds on Gallipoli in 1915.
- Private Charles, 26, and Sergeant William Ernest Machin, 28, are killed while serving with the Lincolnshire Yeomanry in Palestine.
- Private Jesse Hughes (Welsh Guards) is killed at age 29. He is a Birmingham Policeman and his brother also a policeman was killed in June 1916.
- Private James McClelland (Highland Light Infantry) is killed at age 22 becoming the last of four brothers who are killed in the war.