Thursday 29 November 1917 We Lost 625
The German submarine UB-61 sinks in a minefield off Vlieland laid by the British submarine E51.
At Bourlon Wood, France Private George William Burdett Clare (Royal Irish Lancers) a stretcher-bearer dresses wounds and conducts wounded to dressing stations under most intense fire. At one point when all the garrison of a detached post have become casualties he crosses to them through very heavy fire and after dressing all the cases he mans the post single-handed until relief can be sent. Then after carrying a seriously wounded man through intense fire to the dressing station he goes still under heavy fire to every company post warning them that the enemy is using gas shells. He will be killed at age 28 during this action. He will later be awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross.
For the second day in a row two brothers are killed together in Palestine serving the Lincolnshire Yeomanry. Major Robert Wright is killed at age 33 and his brother Lieutenant Charles Wright dies at age 28. Both sets of brothers are buried in Ramleh War Cemetery.
Today’s losses include:
- Brothers killed together
- A Victoria Cross winner
- Multiple families that will lose two sons and three sons in the Great War
- A clever comedian
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant John Edward Mary Claude Pius Augustine Waterton (Bedfordshire Regiment) is killed at Zeify Hill, Palestine. His brother was killed in a motorcycle accident in England while on service in February 1915.
- Lance Corporal Frank Bradley (Northamptonshire Regiment) is killed. His brother died of accidental gunshot wounds last April.
- Private Joseph Charles Mason MM (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) is killed in action at age 28. His two brothers have already been killed in the Great War.
- Private Thomas Galt (Cameronians) is killed in Palestine at age 28 becoming the third brother lost in the war.
- Gunner Edward Henry Francis Masters (Royal Garrison Artillery) dies of wounds at age 30. He was drafted in May 1916 and was considered a clever comedian.