Saturday 8 December 1917 We Lost 561
Allenby sends the 20th Corps for a final assault on Jerusalem.
After days of severe fighting, the 53rd (Welsh) Division on the south and the 60th (London) and 74th (Yeomanry) Divisions on the west, finish the capture of all the prepared defenses of Jerusalem.
Today’s losses include:
- A man whose daughter will be born next July
- A Rhodes Scholar and Scottish Rugby International
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- The son of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Major S S Crisp (Royal Field Artillery) is killed in action in Italy at age 31. His daughter will be born 17th July 1918.
- Lieutenant Stephanus Sebastian Lombard Steyn (Royal Field Artillery) a Rhodes Scholar is killed at age 28 in Palestine. He is also a Scottish Rugby International.
- Second Lieutenant Alan Mansell Alexander (London Regiment) is killed in Palestine at age 21 by machine gun fire. His brother was killed in July 1916.
- Second Lieutenant Eric Hand Thomas (Duke of Wellington’s Regiment) is killed at age 19. His brother will be killed next April and they are sons of the Reverend Llewellyn Wyn Thomas Vicar of Newland.
- Second Lieutenant Frederick Holland Vicat (Duke of Wellington’s Regiment) is killed at age 25. His brother was killed in September 1914.