At 07:00 the last Turkish troops retreat out of Jerusalem and four centuries of Turkish rule come to an end. The mayor of Jerusalem comes to the British lines with the Turkish governor’s letter of surrender and the city is occupied.
The convoy escort HM armed trawler Ben Lawer sinks the German submarine UB-18 in the English Channel.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a member of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant John Monckton Case (Canadian Engineers) dies on service at home. He is the son of the Reverend F Case.
- Private Laurence B Sutherland (Seaforth Highlanders) is killed in action at age 19 at Cambrai. His brother was killed in September 1916.
- Private Alex Y Sutherland (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) dies of wounds received in action at age 34. His brother was killed in October 1916.
- Private William Chestney (Royal Fusiliers) is killed at age 35 becoming the last of three brothers to lose their lives in the Great War.
- Rifleman Frank Page (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) is killed at age 19. His brother will die of wounds next June.
- Private Ernest Cyril Groves (London Regiment) is killed in Palestine. His brother was killed in October 1916.