Monday 17 December 1917 We Lost 308
Flight Lieutenant Joseph Gorman (Royal Naval Air Service) a sportswriter and brother of the part owner of the original Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League who played their first game just two days before today is killed on his 28th birthday while on a training flight in Italy.
Today’s losses include:
- A sportswriter and brother of the part owner of the original Ottawa Senators of the NHL
- The son of a member of the clergy
- An actor with Cyril Maude’s company
- A man whose wife died in October
- A man whose brother was killed last May
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Robert Percival Young MC (Sussex Regiment) is killed in Bethlehem at age 23. He is the son of the Reverend Arthur Frederick Young, Vicar of Rudywick. He is a promising young actor who at one time toured America with Cyril Maude’s Company.
- Second Lieutenant Kenneth Gerard Gurney (Gordon Highlanders attached Royal Flying Corps) dies of wounds as a prisoner of war received 2nd His wife died 28th October of this year.
- Private Frederick Charles Jephson (Sherwood Foresters) is killed in action at age 23. His brother was killed in May of this year.