British forces advance north and south of Jaffa.
Second Lieutenant Leslie Lashbrook Medlen (Royal Flying Corps and General List) is killed in action when he is shot down at age 21. When news of his death is conveyed by wire from the War Office on Christmas Day it so deeply affects his mother that she passes away that same evening, overwhelmed by the event.
S S Warsaw (Master John Valentine) is sunk by UB-31 four miles southeast of Start Point. Seventeen are killed including her master
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of member of the clergy
- The son of a jurist
- Multiple families that will lose two and three son in the Great War
- A man whose twin will die on service
- A man whose father was killed on Gallipoli
- The son of a Councillor
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain James McKee Ferguson (Royal Army Medical Corps attached Connaught Rangers) is killed at age 31. He is the son of the Reverend J E Ferguson.
- Captain Robert Alan Dobb (Royal Field Artillery) dies in Mesopotamia at age 23. He is the son of His Honour Judge Harry Dobb.
- Second Lieutenant William Leslie Holt (York and Lancs Regiment) is killed at age 19. He is the son of the Reverend Alfred Holt Vicar of Oaks.
- Second Lieutenant Christopher Henry Hoskyns-Abrahall (Royal Field Artillery attached Royal Flying Corps) is accidentally killed at Yatesbury, Wilts at age 19. His father died of wounds on Gallipoli in 1915.
- Second Lieutenant Frederick Leslie Barry-Roberts (Rajput Light Infantry) is killed in Aden at age 21. He is the son of the Reverend Francis Barry Roberts Vicar of Bettisfield.
- Lance Corporal Cyril William Carter (Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry) is killed by a shell at Passchendaele Ridge at age 25. He is the youngest son of Councillor Charles James Carter of Kenilworth.
- Sapper Walter James Hollyman (Royal Engineers) dies of wounds received from a shell burst three days before at age 25. His brother will die on service in Italy five days before the Armistice.
- Private Thomas Potts (Manchester Regiment) is killed at age 30 becoming the middle of three brothers to lose their lives in the Great War.