The hired trawler Cleon (Skipper Peter Campbell Sinclair RNR) is sunk by a mine off the Folkestone Gate Buoy. The skipper is killed at age 30.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a member of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great Wara
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Francis Hugh Tilney Stonex (Dublin Fusiliers) dies of wounds at home at age 25. He is the son of Canon Francis Tilney Stonex.
- Private Samuel Harry Devereux (Training Reserve) is accidentally killed at age 18. His brother was killed in action in August 1916.
- Private Arthur Agnis (Essex Regiment) is killed at age 19. His brother will die of pneumonia in March 1919.