Twenty two including the ship’s Master are killed when S S Avanti (Skipper Fransisco De Sousa age 27) is torpedoed and sunk 4 miles southeast from St Albans Head. The trawler Remindo (Skipper George William Howard) is sunk when shelled by a German submarine in the Seine Estuary. There are no survivors and among the casualties is
- Lieutenant Harold Sidney Rogers who is killed at age 36. His son will be killed in the Second World War.
Today’s losses include:
- A man whose son will be killed in the Second World War
- A nephew of Lord Strathclyde
- A son of the Earl of Gainsborough
- The son of the member of the clergy
- A man whose brother was killed in April 1917
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Ian Ure (Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders) a nephew of Lord Strathclyde is killed in action in Italy by the explosion of a bomb at age 32.
- Captain ‘the Honorable’ Robert Edmund Thomas More Noel (Royal Fusiliers attached Nigeria Regiment) dies of malaria at Massassi, East Africa at age 29. He is the son of the Earl of Gainsborough.
- Cadet Ernest Seymour Kirby DCM (Australian Field Artillery) dies in Scotland on service at age 33. He is the son of the Reverend Augustus George Kirby Vicar of South Weald York.
- Private Peter Watson Christian (Australian Infantry) is killed in action at age 32. His brother was killed in April 1917.