Sunday 17 March 1918 We Lost 231
Today’s losses include:
- A Victoria Cross winner
- A 12-victory ace
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Maurice Douglas Guest Scott MC (Royal Flying Corps) is accidentally killed at age 22. He is a 12-victory ace.
- Second Lieutenant John Drummond Wyatt-Smith (General List attached Royal Flying Corps) is killed at age 19. His brother died of appendicitis in February 1916.
- Company Sergeant Major John Kendrick Skinner VC DCM (King’s Own Scottish Borderers) is killed at age 35. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions last August at Wijdendrift.
- Sergeant Robert Mather (New Zealand Rifle Brigade) is killed in action at age 22. His brother was killed in August 1915 on Gallipoli.
- Private Hedley Thomas Hatch (Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry) is killed at age 22. His brother will be killed in September.