Wednesday 20 March 1918 We Lost 351
HMS Loyal badly damages the German submarine UC-48 n the English Channel. Three days later she will put into Ferrol, Spain where she will be interned.
Today’s losses include:
- A Military Chaplain
- Multiple members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant Albert Rowland Cortis Hodges (Royal Flying Corps) is accidentally killed at age 21. He is the son of the Reverend Albert Henry Hodges.
- Chaplain William Andrew Wilson, the Presbyterian Minister of New Row, Coleraine dies in a motor accident on the Western Front at age 52. He is the son of the Reverend A J Wilson DD.
- Gunner George William Swanson (Royal Garrison Artillery) dies of wounds received in action at age 29. His brother died of wounds in September 1917.
- Driver Frederick Charles Fitkin (Royal Field Artillery) is killed in action in Palestine at age 28. His brother will die in December 1918.