British forces capture Kifri in Mesopotamia.
At 04:30 the Germans attack the positions held the positions held by the Bedfordshire Regiment. A heavy barrage falls on the positions prior to an infantry assault. Eight men are killed including
- Second Lieutenant Ambrose Ethelston Peel (Bedfordshire Regiment) killed at age 20. His brother was killed in July 1917.
The Newfoundland House of Assembly unanimously passes the Conscription Bill.
Today’s losses include:
- A man whose son will be killed next June
- Multiple families that will lose two sons
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Gerald Charles Tunbridge (York and Lancaster Regiment) is killed in Bulgaria at age 23. He is the son of the Reverend James Tunbridge Vicar of Bisbrooke.
- Lieutenant Lawrence Anselm Storrs Fox (West Yorkshire Regiment) is killed at age 21. He is the son of the Reverend Edwin Storrs Fox Vicar of Hawkser.
- Lieutenant Roy Agnew Moon (Machine Gun Corps) is killed in action at age 23. His older brother was killed on HMS Lion at the Battle of Jutland.
- Private Francis Stanley Coneybeer (Devonshire Regiment) is killed at age 20. His brother will be killed in July.
- Private Samuel Watmore (Army Service Corps) is killed in action. His son with the same name will be killed at sea in June.