Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A family that will lose a son and a daughter in the Great War
- A man whose brother will be killed in the sinking of HMS Hood in May 1941
- A member of the Old Globe Theatre Company
- A military Chaplain
- A British Red Cross Nurse
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Athelstan William New (Essex Regiment) is killed in action. His brother was killed in Octobert 1917.
- Captain Hubert Lawrence Grogan MC (Worcestershire Regiment) is killed at age 21. His brother will be killed in the sinking of the Hood on 24th May 1941.
- Lieutenant Horace Clark Waterfield (British Columbia Regiment) dies of wounds received 26th April at age 42. He is the second son of the late ‘Sir’ Henry Waterfield KCSI KCIE CB.
- Second Lieutenant Duncan Tovey (London Regiment) dies at home at age 46 after having been invalided from wounds early in the war. He was a member of the old Globe Theatre Company.
- Chaplain James Henry Hardy (attached Welsh Regiment) is killed in action at age 45.
- Nurse Elizabeth McMath Warnock (British Red Cross Society attached 8th General Hospital) dies of septicemia at age 31. Her brother was killed in action in March 1918.
- Lance Corporal Frank Harrowell (Machine Gun Corps) is killed at age 34. His brother was killed last July at Ypres.
- Private Alphonsus J Edwards (Newfoundland Regiment) dies of wounds at age 21. His brother died of wounds in July 1916.
- Private Eli Fillis (Wiltshire Regiment) is killed at age 37. His brother was killed in November 1916.