Nine members of No 2 section 203rd (Cambridgeshire) Field Company, Royal Engineers perform acts that will win them the Military Medal during the attack on Aveluy Wood. Within a month four of these men be dead as a result of later actions.
- Lance Corporal Reginald ‘Nobby’ Clark
- Acting 2nd Corporal Albert Webster
- Pioneer John Pritchard
- Sapper Basil Richard Gale will
Captain Gerald Gordon Bell (Royal Air Force) accompanied by another pilot, attacks a formation of enemy scouts. He shoots down one in flames and drives down others out of control, only breaking off the engagement when all his ammunition has been expended.
Today’s losses include:
- The Secretary of the Glamorgan Wanderers Cricket Club
- A Rhodes Scholar
- A 51-victory ace
- A 12-victory ace
- Two families that will lose four sons in the Great Wra
- A family that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Major Roderic Stanley ‘Breguet’ Dallas DSO (commanding 40th Royal Air Force) is killed in action at age 26 at Lievin. He is the second leading ace from Australia.
- Major Frank Vivian Bracher (Welsh Regiment) is killed in action. He is the Secretary of the Glamorgan Wanderers Cricket Club.
- Captain Alan Peile Dickinson MC (Liverpool Regiment) is killed at dawn near Festubert by a shell that also kills his runner and a stretcher-bearer. In two days he will be awarded his Military Cross “for consistent good work…this officer has always maintained a very high standard of efficiency in the company. His brothers were both wounded on the same day in June 1915 the younger dying, the older suffering with his wounds until he died in 1932.
- Lieutenant Lennock de Graaff Godet (Royal Air Force) is killed at age 21. He is a Rhodes Scholar.
- Second Lieutenant George Hubert Kemp (Durham Light Infantry) is killed at age 20. He is a 12-victory observer ace.
- Sergeant John E Gleed (Gloucestershire Regiment) is killed in action. He is one of four brothers who are killed in the war.
- Private James Reid ((Warwickshire Regiment) dies of wounds at age 29. He is the last of four brothers who will lose their lives in the Great War.