An air raid on their Dunkirk aerodrome causes the death of Major James Arthur Royal Air Force) who dies of wounds at age 29. He is the nephew of Lord Glanarthur and grandson of the late ‘Sir’ James Coates.
Today’s losses include:
- Two families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain John de Camorne Paynter DSC (Royal Air Force) is killed at age 20. He is a 10-victory ace.
- Second Lieutenant Percy William “Peter” Hubbard MM (Lancashire Fusiliers) is killed in action at age 37. He had been the Captain of the cricket and rugby clubs at Westminster Bank and a member of the Belsize Clubs.
- Private Peter Murphy (Black Watch) is killed in action. His daughter will be born after his death.
- Private Cecil Richard Reed (Lancashire Fusiliers) dies of wounds at age 18. His brother also fell.
- Private Fred Wrench (Cheshire Regiment) is killed. He is the third brother who is killed in the Great War.
- Private Herbert George Haynes (Lancashire Fusiliers) is killed at age 37. His brother was killed in November 1916.