An explosion takes place at the National Shell Filling factory at Chilwell, near Nottingham when eight tons of TNT is ignited. One hundred nine men and twenty-five women are killed while approximately two hundred fifty are injured.
Today’s losses include:
- Son of a General
- Grandson of a member of the clergy
- A man whose brother was killed last March
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Colonel Francis James Brook Campbell (Cantonment Magistrate, Indian Army) dies on service in India at age 57. He is the son of Major General John Peter Campbell.
- Major Ernest Willis (Kite Balloon Section, Royal Air Force) dies of injuries on service in Malta at age 35. His brother was killed in March of this year.
- Flight Lieutenant John Eckford Gow (Royal Air Force) dies of wounds at age 19. He is the grandson of the late Reverend John Eckford.
- Lieutenant Roy James Fitzgerald MC (Royal Air Force) is killed at age 27. He was captured at Fresnoy in May 1917 while serving in the Gloucestershire Regiment and later escaped and transferred to the Royal Air Force.