Wednesday 10 July 1918 We Lost 383
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A Military Chaplain
- The son of a Baronet
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain John Harbord MC (Norfolk Yeomanry) dies of wounds received in action near Nieppe Forest on the 6th July at age 24. His brother was killed in December 1917 and his nephew will die of wounds in August 1919.
- Lieutenant Richard Milne Collingwood (Royal Air Force) is killed in a mid-air collision at home at age 21. His brother was killed in August 1915 on Gallipoli.
- Lieutenant Cecil Arthur Auchterlonie MC (Australian Infantry) is killed at age 22. His brother was killed on Gallipoli in October 1915.
- Chaplain William Black dies on active service at age 26. He was the Assistant Minister at Govan and Kilmalcolm Parish Churches in Glasgow.
- Sergeant Instructor George Samuel Allen (Royal Air Force) dies of double pneumonia at age22 in Lincoln in the presence of his parents and his fiancée, a Miss Parker who has already lost two brothers in the Great War.
- Corporal Frederick Gillies Payne (Hampshire Regiment) dies of illness contracted on active service at home at age 53. His is the son of the late ‘Sir’ Salisbury Payne, the Baronet.