“C” Flight 40 squadron has a remarkable morning bringing down all five enemy aircraft of a German patrol.
Today’s losses include:
- The brother of a Baronet
- The son of a member of the clergy
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- A Cambridge Gold Medal winner
- The sonf of the editor of the North Eastern Daily Gazette
- A man whose brother was killed in July 1916
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Major Herbert Selwyn Aston MC (Highland Light Infantry attached Machine Gun Corps) is killed in action by an aeroplane bomb. He had taken 1st place in Science at the Cambridge Local Examinations and was awarded the Duke of Westminster Gold Medal.
- Captain Edward Parker Wallman Wedd MC (Royal Army Medical Corp attached Essex Yeomanry) is killed at age 34. He is the son of Edward Arthur Wedd JP.
- Lieutenant Odo Louis D Mackay Simpson (Sherwood Foresters) is killed at age 34. He is the heir presumptive to his brother ‘Sir’ Walter Grindley Simpson the Baronet.
- Lieutenant William Scott Robertson (Royal Air Force) is killed at age 20. He is the son of the editor of the North Eastern Daily Gazette
- Second Leutenant Evan Francis Kerruish (Royal Air Force) is accidentally killed at age 20 at home. He is the son of the Reverend Thomas Kerruish.
- Lance Corporal James Dodds Ross (Quebec Regiment) dies at home as the results of being gassed on the Western Front. His brother was killed in action in July 1916.