Today’s losses include:
- A survivor of the Lusitania sinking
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
- The son of a member of the clergy
- The son of a General
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Laurence Hurley Callinan (Australian Field Artillery) dies of wounds at age 24. His brother died of wounds in May 1917.
- Lieutenant Gavin Ralston Mure Caldwell (Coldstream Guards) is killed at age 21. He is the son of the Reverend William Henry McKenna Caldwell Rector of Fetcham.
- Lieutenant Cyril John George Wallace (Northumberland Fusiliers) dies of gassing at age 22. He is a survivor of the sinking of Lusitania in 1915 while en-route from New York to rejoin his regiment.
- Lieutenant Arthur Hugh Courtrey Galbraith (Royal Garrison Artillery) dies of gassing at age 21. He is the son of the late Major General ‘Sir’ William Galbraith KCB.
- Lieutenant Joseph Victor Robinson Pastfield (Middlesex Regiment) is killed at age 20. His brother was killed in December 1914.
- Gunner Richard Franklin Phillpott (Royal Field Artillery) dies of wounds at age 20. He is the last of three brothers who are killed in the Great War.
- Private Frederick Meikle (Cheshire Regiment) is killed at age 38. His brother was killed in February 1915.