Wednesday 11 September 1918 We Lost 543
Today’s losses include:
- A former All Blacks Rugby footballer
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
- The son of a General
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Lawrence Gordon Lyon (Royal Canadian Regiment) is killed in action at age 23. He is the son of the Reverend Paul Lyon Rector of Lower Sapey.
- Lieutenant Colonel Philip Prideaux Budge DSO (Royal Field Artillery) is killed in action at age 36. His older brother killed in July 1916.
- Lieutenant Arthur Charles Parker (Hussars) dies on service. He is the son of Brigadier General A Parker.
- Lance Sergeant Ernest Henry Dodd (New Zealand Rifle Brigade) is killed at age 38. He is a former member of the All Blacks Rugby Football Club.
- Corporal Guy Robert Hurst Maitland-Addison (Machine Gun Corps) becoming the third and final son of Major Alfred Maitland-Addison to be killed in the Great War. He dies at age 33.
- Private Harold Pashley Davies (Somerset Light Infantry) is killed at age 19. He is the son of the Reverend Edward Davis Vicar of Chevithorne.
- Private Lawrence Edward Courtney (Royal Fusiliers) is killed at age 36. He is the son of the Reverend Stanley Thomas Courtney Vicar of Bullington.