Thursday 24 October 1918 We Lost 1,823
40th squadron moves from Bryas to Aniche on the Douai-Denain road.
Lance Corporal Colin Archibald Mungo Park (Royal Sussex Regiment) is killed in action at age 31. He is the son of the Reverend Mungo Park. In June 1941 his son, a World War II Royal Air Force ace will be shot down and killed by German Lufwaffe ace Wilhelm Balthasar who will die in combat less than one week later. Both of the younger men lost their fathers serving in their respective armies in the Great War.
Today’s losses include:
- A man whose son an RAF ace will be shot down and killed by German ace who will be killed within a week in June 1941 who also lost his father in the Great War
- Multiple families that will lose two, three and four sons in the Great War
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- A member of the Penarth Rugby Football Club
- Two Military Chaplains
- A man who son will be killed in December 1940
- A man whose brother was killed in the Great War and his son will be killed in the Second World War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Gordon Gordon-Smith (Royal West Kent Regiment) is killed. His brother was killed in December 1915.
- Captain Victor Hubert Thornton (Northumberland Fusiliers) is killed in action at age 31. He is the son of the Reverend Edward Thornton, late Vicar of Ancroft.
- Lieutenant William Bannister Augustus Pickop (Royal Fusiliers) dies of wounds at age 22. His brother died of wounds in June 1917 and they are sons of the Reverend Canon Pickop Vicar of Hatcliffe.
- Second Lieutenant Rowland Hurst Bourne (Sussex Regiment) is killed in action at age 19. He is the son of Rowland Manlove Bourne JP.
- Second Lieutenant Cyril de Clare Yeld (Indian Army Reserve of Officers attached Supply and Transport Corps) dies on service in India. He is a member of the Penarth Rugby Club.
- Second Lieutenant Horace Burnaby Cooper (Wiltshire Regiment) is killed at age 19. He is the son of the Reverend Horace Rowsell Cooper Vicar of Thornton.
- Chaplains William Edgar Jones (attached Yorkshire Regiment) age 30 and Richard William Dugdale MC (Norfolk Regiment) die on active service He is the son of the Reverend Sydney Dugdale Rector of Whitchurch.
- Lance Corporal Ben Mingay (Suffolk Regiment) is killed at age 33. His son will be killed in December 1940.
- Private George Arthur Ginns (Bedfordshire Regiment) is killed at age 35. His brother was killed in December 1916 and his son will be killed on 28th May 1943 while serving with the Norfolk Regiment.
- Pioneer Hubert William Duncan Brewster (Royal Engineers) dies of illness at age 42. His brother died of wounds in January 1917.
- Private Harry Desborough (Machine Gun Company) is killed at age 29. His brother was killed in October 1916.
- Private John William Lance Slee (Warwickshire Regiment) dies of illness at age 18. His brother died of illness in November 1914.
- Private Frederick Arthur (Hampshire Regiment) dies of malaria on Salonika having been released after three years as a prisoner of war in Bulgaria.
- Private Bertie Atkiss (West Surrey Regiment) is killed in action at age 20. His brother was killed in July 1916.
- Private Aubrey Henry Simmonds (Warwickshire Regiment) is killed near Haussy, Cambrai at age 19. He is the son of the Reverend Charles S Simmonds Vicar of Exhall.
- Gunner Thomas Lang (Royal Field Artillery) is killed at age 33. His brother will die on service in the Royal Navy next July.
- Private Wilfred Simpson (Royal Marines HMS Hussar) dies in Italy. He is the third of four brothers who lose their lives in the Great War.
- Private Joseph Robert Calder-Smith (Army Pay Corps) dies on service at age 42. His brother was killed on the first day of the battle of the Somme.
- Private Charles Horace Dunkley (Sherwood Foresters) is killed. His brother was killed in November 1915 on Gallipoli.
- Private Thomas Wortley Raitt (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) is killed at age 23. His twin brother was killed last May.
- Private William Ernest Haynes (Somerset Light Infantry) is killed at age 25. His is one of three brothers who lose their lives in the Great War.