Monday 24 November 1918 We Lost 523
Lieutenant Dudley John Beaumont (Gloucestershire Regiment) age 41 dies during the influenza pandemic. He is a member of the ruling family of Sark. He is the husband of Dame Sibyl Mary Collings Beaumont Hathaway, later 21st Seigneur of Sark, and grandfather of the 22nd Seigneur of Sark. His son a Royal Air Force officer, film producer and the husband of actress Mary Lawson will be killed with his wife on 4th May 1941 during the Liverpool Blitz.
Today’s losses include:
- A member of the Ruling Family of Sark
- A General
- The nephew of a General
- A man whose son will be killed in the Royal Air Force during the Liverpool Blitz in May 1941
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Brigadier General Ernest St George Pratt CB DSO (Durham Light Infantry, Inspector of Infantry Home Forces) dies at home at age 55.
- Captain Charles Gerard Longmore (Royal Field Artillery) dies on service in Palestine at age 27. He is the son of Colonel ‘Sir’ Charles Elton Longmore KCB.
- Lieutenant Leo Albert Kiburz (Canadian Railway Troops attached Royal Air Force) dies of pneumonia. He is the nephew of General J W Stewart.
- Private Redvers V Thoday (Royal Fusiliers) dies in Germany at age 18. His brother was killed in May 1917.
- Private Charles Badcock (Suffolk Regiment) dies on service in Belgium. His brother died of wounds on 7th July 1916 received the 1st the same day Charles was also wounded.
- Private Percy Geary (King’s Shropshire Light Infantry) dies on active service at age 25. His brother was killed in March of this year.